Monday, October 12, 2009

Juicy



Hi all,
I realized I forgot to tell a funny story about last Friday. So here you go.

Fruit Lovers
This may be one of those "I guess you had to be there" stories, but maybe you'll find it humorous anyway. It was during the long break for for Friday (a whopping 20 minutes). The British/Turkish girl, N., had asked if I wanted to come along with her as she was going to buy an apple around the corner. I had a banana in my bag, but figured it'd be nice to chat and stretch my legs, so I agreed. Once there, the bananas enticed her more, so she asked for one. She then started to dig around in her wallet - only to realize that her smallest bill was a 20. Now, I've already noticed that the small vendors (and some larger ones) really hate to make change. I happened to have a 1 TLY coin (about 75 cents) at hand, so I insisted she take it.

"Oh, really...well, thank you! I'll pay you back of course - maybe I can buy you a tea sometime?? It's very nice of you!"

I assured her it was no big deal, and she laughed when I pulled out my banana to eat as well on the walk back. She laughed and said:
"I've only known you a day, and already you're paying for my food!"
Quite seriously and completely deadpan I replied:
"Oh, I'm not gay."
N. was struck dumbfounded for a second and started to stammer:
"OH! Oh, no, I've a boyfriend and, and...oh."
She suddenly noticed my small grin and started laughing. Some banter then ensued along the lines of how of course we couldn't be lesbians - just look at the bananas we were eating! And that we should definitely spend some quality, non-lesbian time together.

So, perhaps a friendship in the making? We've e-mailed once exchanging cell numbers and I think we may get tea after class, since I'll have time before I hunt down the location of the 4:30 shuttle!

One More Interesting Tidbit
We also covered months/seasons in class on Friday. I thus learned that the month of January had a literal interpretation of the meaning of "stove". I'm not sure if that's because they had to typically huddle around one for warmth, or what, but I'm going to try to find out! Also, their "winter" is only considered to be in December and January. Coming from a Northern Minnesota/ North Dakota standpoint, that's at least 4 months too little. It's going to be real rough this "winter"... : p

Hope all is well,
Steph

No comments: