Between several medical issues this week, it was a long one. Today took the cake, however, as Housemom had an allergic reaction to some meds and ended up going to ER. I’d managed the house all morning- doing brunch and was sinking comatose into a nap when I got woken up twice. Once by Sam, and the second by the 4 year old who was literally SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS. “Mom! MOM! MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!” Over, and over, and over again. I swear the whole neighborhood, and probably several others, heard him.
It turns out she was at the neighbors, and returned with a co-worker who said she had to lie down. Now, the children had 2 friends over and were expecting another, and so I agreed to do some child-watching. I took the 4 year old and Maria into the cow field and flew his kite. Apparently it’s pretty much like riding a bicycle. Plus, the kite was an interesting design with no sticks, kind of reminded me of a jellyfish. Although it wasn’t terribly windy, we had it up for quite some time. Probably spent a good half hour to 45 minutes.
When I got back, chaos reigned.
Housemom was gone to the ER (although I had no idea why or when she’d be back/what to tell the children/ how serious it was/ etc). Plus, none of the neighbors knew. This was very un-housemom-like and made me intensely uncomfortable. I refused to believe it could be anything really serious, because I couldn’t afford to freak out. And then housedad called, wondering if he should try to book it home – although it would take 8 hours or so.
Luckily, one of the neighbor staff kids came over and we took most of the kids (2 went to another house) went down to the creek – to catch tadpoles, I thought. It turned into a “let’s take a mudbath!” when I had turned around. So yeah, we literally had to hose off the kids…so that was a lot of fun…not.
Then there were baths, de-mudding clothing, and dinner to get together. Then the children decided it was time to freak out completely and called the neighbors to go over. They were even contemplating eating nettle soup. Plus, Sam had the day off, so he was completely out of the picture for this. I have to admit I was completely envious.
So we had a dinner of 3, having sent the children out with plates to the neighbor’s daughter who built a fire and I was completely dead.
Luckily, housemom returned and after hearing how horrifying her symptoms were I had nothing left. I put on a movie for Maria and retreated to my room. The internet, of course, is being incredibly fickle and so who knows if I’ll be able to post this. I almost lost it when I saw a funny comment on a link, and so I know I’m pretty close to an edge. Needless to say, I’m looking forward to about 10 hours of unconsciousness tonight!
Tomorrow will be a better day!
Hope all is well,