Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Schmee Takes the Cake

Hi all,

Wednesdays have become my unofficial evening off, since Maria is usually at class until 9. I get her ready (shower/teethbrushed) after dinner and then someone else sends her to bed. It's nice to have a 2 hour time block to use as you wish. I should have used it to study for the last medicine giver's test, but since it was Schmee's birthday today Bean and I (plus another co-worker) trekked over to Hudson to celebrate with her. Her housemom told us it should be a surprise, so I baked a cake and we showed up after dinner. She was surprised (in a good way, I hope) and I think we had a lot of fun. I would've liked to have had a tape recorder, as there were many quotable quotes:

"Oh my goodness, there's so many babies coming this summer...one after another!"
"Yes, there must be something in the water!"
"Or rather, something not in the water..."

Plus tons of other gems I can't even remember.

However, this was at the end of the day. I need to get to sleep soon because I was rather tired this morning. I managed to drop off immediately after breakfast and was in a dead sleep for about 20 minutes. I made a millet casserole (using up some small squashes by peeling, grating and sauteing them with onions and sausage to put in the millet) which was held together with milk, cream cheese (out of quark) and had some cheese melted on top. Housemom and Sam were out today for different reasons, so I held the meal - even with two guests. It's amazing that I used to find the thought of this daunting. Although, given the guests that could be possible, it still could be, I suppose.

We had our neighborhood meeting (sad...no nap : ( ) after lunch. I'd say that it probably wasn't necessary for me to be there for about 95% of the information. So it goes. At least people were in good spirits, for the most part. The co-op was very quiet this afternoon, with only me and one villager for the majority of the afternoon. We got a lot done though: finished up bagging/cutting/pricing the prunes, half the dried mangos, 55 pd bulk butter, mozzarella cheese and raisins.

And that was pretty much my day...
Hope all is well,
Steph

No comments: