Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Monday Tuesday Sort of Affair

Hi all,

So, I did technically post yesterday, but since it was for Sunday, I suppose it doesn't count. All together then. Monday was relatively laid back. We did a simple breakfast and then some chores around the house. We had a very simple lunch since we were having a picnic with one of the other houses in the neighborhood. Housemom was getting a little frantic, but it's not as though things ever really start on time, we had plenty of time before the game and we were 1/2 of the crowd. So how much could happen without our house? Housemom said that I'm very level. Although she's seen me melt down over tofu, so I'm not sure how seriously I should take this compliment.

Anyhow, I made a green salad and we brought meat and cookies that housemom made (double chocolate with walnut...mmmm!), a tea/fruit drink, meat condiments and chips. The meal was very laid back and I had fun talking with the people there. The new houseparents (who are staying off-site right now) were also there, but I didn't actually talk with them at all. It's weird enough as it is, and I don't want to have to force an awkward conversation. Which, yes, is probably only awkward in my mind. I want to enjoy the time I have left with housemom and the kids. I can pretend that life as I've grown accustomed to (and love) will not be changing drastically in 3 weeks. Not for the worse, necessarily, but I'm sure it'll be different.

Afterward we went to the baseball(softball) game. It was late (of course), and the teams were heavily tilted. But my team managed to stay ahead most of the time and we ended up tying. Unfortunately, Beau wasn't back yet and missed out. However, it's a special weekend coming up for the families/siblings to come, and so there will be another game on Friday. This weekend I may not get a day off...

Today was a bit harried in the morning, getting cafe money set up and other small things - I still need to turn in my timesheet...But I got to the glass workshop on time. Soldering is definitely much different with an electric component and where you want to have a raised area of solder. With the jewelry making you wanted as little solder showing as possible, as you had to painstakingly file and sand down the seams of whatever was left. My highest compliment (from the male workmaster, who's pretty gruff but hilarious) was "Well, it isn't as bad as I expected", for which he earned a swat from his wife. It's a fun work environment. I also soldered my fingers (twice...talent...), which leaves a nice blister immediately. I shall try to refrain from repeating this in the future...

My piece needs a frame and a chain now, although I probably won't make the chain for a bit. We had 4 people at Stitch 'n Bitch tonight, and while the other two knitted, Bean helped me try to make my tomato planters. The burlap sewed up well, although I didn't know how heavy the soil (and water) would make it, so I half-expect to find my poor plant crushed tomorrow on the patio. Plus, the burlap lets all the water straight through, so I may need to double-line them? I will try to take a picture tomorrow...

Anyhow, I went out to lunch with Flo today, and we had a nice time at a Chinese restaurant in Millerton.We even got it MSG-free, always a plus. We had hoped to have some time to do other things, but they weren't exactly speedy. At least the food was pretty good. Always a fun time with Flo though.

Anyhow, that's about it...
Hope all is well,
Steph

No comments: