Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Co-operation

Hi all,

Anyone a fan of the schmaltzy title? I have to admit, I wasn't extremely pleased to find out that they'd decided to place me in the co-op. I'd really hoped to come to learn something new. Even if weaving (for example) isn't the most practical life skill, it'd be something I could feel a great sense of personal accomplishment in doing. I'd also found it ironic, as the one place at home growing up that I'd never had to work at was the grocery store. Serves me right, I suppose.

On that note, though, I've also been reflecting on how events in my life have led me here. Spending the last 10 summers (more or less) working with people with varying degrees of physical and (mostly) mental developmental disabilities, working last summer in a restaurant as a cook, and my failed attempt at being an au pair in Turkey, have really come together for me. It's hard to say how much of my demeanor of interacting with people with special needs comes from an innate sense, and how much I've slowly learned over the years. Additionally, the restaurant stressful environment and cooking skills I picked up have already come in handy for meals here. I also am more fully able to appreciate the wonderful parents that the house parents are and know my limits better. All of these skills have really come in handy.

Back to today though! We had lunch at the cafe, so I had reprieve from cooking lunch. They actually had some amazing meatloaf (sorry Mom... : p) and the freshly steamed carrots were really good. However, the potatoes were rather vigorously peppered for my taste. It was funny to hear from the kids that they appreciated my cooking a lot more (considering that usually only 1 out of the 3 on any given day will eat their portion...kids!). I did really like the apple crisp though!

After lunch and a rest, I headed off to the co-op. I was slightly dismayed to find it locked and everyone late. At least one day a week it is closed, and I thought maybe more than one for a while! Luckily, people with keys eventually showed up and I more or less settled in with ease. There are some great senses of humor in the afternoon shift and I felt like I fit in. The co-op is also a good place to see a large amount of people, as most tend to wander in or out at one point or another! The person in charge of the co-op, ironically, wasn't in today. He came at the end though and so I got to meet him. I'm looking forward to going back, so I think that's a good sign!
I also know that things will change up again when summer comes and having a little seniority and know how will certainly help!

Anyhow, that's it for now!
Hope all is well,
Steph

No comments: