Friday, January 29, 2010

I Mean, Really, Who Knew You Could Burn Rice?

Hi all,

Yes, they're still letting me run amok in the kitchen...Today I was supervising the home work crew while frantically trying to come up with inspiration for a meal. Since today is oats, it just wasn't working for me. I decided to add more flavor to the rice by using broth (since I've done it with lots of other things, like couscous and millet), but apparently that causes it to stick to the bottom. Who'd have thought? So, yeah...Fortunately I managed to salvage most of it, being smart enough not to scrape the bottom when I transferred pans. I ended up making a rather tasty sweet and sour stir fry thingy, and got no complaints, although there was not enough for seconds.

On a completely unrelated (hopefully) note, I've noticed that something smells a little off in my room. Now, I have a scent diffuser and scented candles, and my garbage is empty. However, we do have a villager who has been known to sneak into other people's rooms. Not to steal things, but to hide things. So I'm slightly paranoid that somewhere, in some corner, something has been hidden in my room that's slowly going bad...keep you posted...

Anyhow, tonight we had a special fund-raising dinner for "Save the Children" in Haiti. I was stuck at a very lively table. Normally this would be ok, but as they'd burned something in the kitchen, I was actually having a little trouble breathing and was quite miserable for a while. I was also surrounded by lots of people with anxiety, so I was not helping. Luckily it cleared up after a bit. I also got to talk to several other co-workers, but it was impossible to have a full conversation. Afterward, I really needed to find something to do with my charge. She LOVES music, so I brought in my radio/ipod thingy, and let the music roll. I had it on random, and then I fiddled with it, but we listened to:
Wir Sind Helden, The Artic Monkeys, Michael Buble, Death Cab for Cutie, Joss Stone, Meiko, and of course "The Lion King".
We pretty much danced our bottoms off...she had names for all her moves: the rainbow, tree, wave, etc. I too, had most of these moves in my - highly distinguished, of course - repertoire, so we made a fine crazy-dancing team! Once we were done shaking it, we did teeth-brushing and some reading before bed.

I, for one, am exhausted.

I had a full day at the co-op, where there were only 3 of us. The other co-worker was working on a fully itemized list of what we carry, and so I got introduced to making the Friday list for ordering food. This was tedious, and slightly nerve-wracking. I don't know how fast we go through a lot of things, so I usually guessed based off of dust levels....only partially joking...
Anyhow, I am enjoying the co-op for the most part, as it gets me out of the house (and away from burning things, apparently...) and I enjoy most of the people I work and get to interact with.

Well, screaming children have arrived home, and it's soon time to go and lock up the kitchen. It's a nightly ordeal with Hilda and must be done properly or she'll climb in through a counter window...

Hope all is well,
Steph


No comments: