Tuesday, March 23, 2010

What I Love About the "Commune-ity"

Hi all,

A sample conversation from tonight:
Sam (new male coworker), is playing with the children, and they've exhausted him...slightly muffled from under a pile of children:
"Oh! I know what I forgot at Wal-Mart last night!"
Me: "What?"
"Handcuffs!"
Me: "Sam! Some things are not appropriate to talk about around the children..."
Housemom: (without missing a beat): "Yes Sam, we really don't need to hear about what you do in your own personal, private time."

Look on his face: priceless.

I also enjoy the fact that if you walked into our kitchen and opened the dishwasher, you would have grave doubts about the atmosphere in the community. In nearly every load you'd see 8-10 shot glasses. However, here they are known as "medicine cups" (and yes, there are plenty of jokes made in secret about it...), for dispensing both homeopathic and allopathic medicines.

I also love: my room, it feels like home (minus the one poster, ahem brother), the fact that I never know when a cat or cuddly 4 (or 6 or 8) year old will decide to climb into my lap, having a feeling of both independence and belonging/interdependence, the smell of spring in the air, naps!, the friends I am making with their individual quirks and varied personalities, freshly baked bread, learning to cook new foods, walks around the "ring road" at night, beautiful upstate NY country side, fresh eggs from the chickens, having a little time to read for fun, blogging, getting mail, working on my jewelry/craft nights with Bean, the rhythm of daily life.

I'm sure I could make an equally long list of things that I miss (like family/friends, Rio and Sixlets), but that's probably counter-productive. For right now, it's enough for me to just be here, and find things I enjoy in the every day life.

Hope all is well,
Steph

No comments: