Monday, March 1, 2010

Anthroposophy..Yay.


Hi all,

I wasn't really looking forward to orientation class today. Our main instructor wasn't going to be there, but he'd invited two people to come in and give a brief overview on Anthroposophy and answer questions. He also said that anyone going on the sap run was ok to miss.

So only 3 other people (plus the secondary instructor who had no idea of what was going on...) showed up. As soon as they started with talking about how it believes in reincarnation (after spiritual journeys and only as humans...) I decided the only possible way to get through it would to be to treat it as an academic exercise. So I asked questions, and it got more and more convoluted to me. At one point he started discussing the effects on different areas that it'd had. For his specialty (he's Swiss) it's banking - big surprise?

Anyhow, he said:
"So, the first thing a bank needs to do is find out where the money is coming from."
"Um, isn't that kind of a ironic purpose for a bank in Switzerland to have?"

I mean, really.

Luckily, he realized the humor in it too, but it was funny because he was discussing low interest, not paying the CEO's the big bucks...etc. However, he'd somehow never heard of microloans. So I was a bit mystified about exactly what they were going for. There are these little cultural hot-spots of Anthroposophy, and I guess that he came from one of them.

It was definitely a LONG afternoon, but could've been a lot worse.

Anyhow, I'm finally going to post the pictures I took last week when we got the snow (above and below...). The South Koreans actually went out and dedicated-ly took pictures. I, however, just took some from my room window. Yup. Lazy....


Hope all is well,
Steph

No comments: