Friday, February 5, 2010

Attack of the Killer Squirrel

Hi all,

Not that I'm ever prone to exaggeration or anything, right? However, I did have a scary run-in with a large squirrel today. I was in the co-op with only one villager this afternoon, as the other two co-workers were off doing other things. It was going fine. I'd gotten the produce in and had gotten it put away. Whenever the produce comes, they leave the "loading dock" doors open and a squirrel likes to come into the dry storage room. When I walked in, to convince the villager to go break down boxes, I thought I heard rustling by the door. There's a table at waist-level, so I reached over and shifted a large grain bag. Nothing. I walked in two minutes later, and repeated the action:

BAM!

The squirrel EXPLODED out from behind the bag, whizzing past my face. So I did what any sensible person would do: I screamed loudly. Who knows how many innocent lives were saved by my warning, though by my estimates I'd say 3. The villager then stated, with a look of grave concern on her face:

"I'm not going in there..."

To which I replied:

"I'm not either! This is why we have men around: not because I couldn't handle it, but because I don't want to!"

She then rehashed the incident for anyone who wandered in. Way to go, Steph.

I did, however, make a killer blueberry crisp today, to fulfill "Oats". We had a very simple meal - and apparently the other co-worker had been whining that we never get anything "normal" because of the grains. He might have gotten a bit of an earful and slight telling off about who'd be doing their own cooking if they had complaints...He was all smiles after spaghetti and the crisp though. It was excellent.

Anyhow, I thought I had something else that was particularly witty to remark on...but my brain is dead. Perhaps you'll get it tomorrow...

Hope all is well,
Steph

No comments: