Monday, February 1, 2010

Daddy, What's a Virgin?

Hi all...

Oh, the fun questions that you get to field from an 8 year old. Luckily, I wasn't the one asked, because I don't think I would have answered the same way (well, probably not at all...). Since the kids go to a Waldorf school, they really try to shelter them in order to preserve their childhood. Whether or not this is a great idea, I'm not sure, but I do know that the majority of children seem to be losing out on having a quality childhood, so I'm not going to judge.

Today was a long day, and I only managed some minor shenanigans. More on that tomorrow. Anyhow, the morning seemed long because we had left overs and all I made was a carrot salad. I also finished up my Black Forest Cake, which was definitely a hit at the orientation group tea time. We had a new co-worker today (another Americorps, but with dual German/US citizenship) and it was weird again. We had a guest speaker on bee hives, although I'd also been asked to prepare from a book I'd been lent only last night. It was fascinating, but I think most of the people was completely out of the loop.

Like the poor new guy. The leader didn't even think to introduce himself or us, so after the guest speaker was done I took the initiative. I passed around the paper for people to write names and houses and then made us go around and verbally introduce. It was very funny, people acted as though they'd never done it before: "What should I say?!?" "Um, your name, where you're from...something about you??" Very literal. Name and country. It's a start?

Also had someone from the one isolated house in Hudson come over for lunch and rest hour, which was nice. She's very down to Earth and easy going. She's also a good back up for keeping everyone else a little grounded. We're having a Carneval (Carnaval? spelling seems to differ) and working on a theme - Woodstock? However, things seem to be a little convoluted, and someone thought we should put leis on people as they came in (although they didn't seem to know about Mardi Gras beads...). So that joke fell flat...

Anyhow, I'm utterly exhausted right now, and ready to curl up and pass out.

Hope all is well,
Steph

PS. I just remembered that I woke myself up last night by politely sleep talking out loud:
"I'm sorry, I would really prefer Not to try milking the Pig...."
Yup.

No comments: